Brandon Karr hits Tufts' first hole in one in 25 years

2015-09-23-Golf-Tournament-5937

Men’s golf travelled to Middlebury, Vt. last weekend for the Duke Nelson Invitational and the team's second competitive tournament of the season. A strong first day saw the Jumbos in sixth place, but they slid to 13th on the second day.

“We started off pretty hot,” coach George Pendergast said. “There were 22 schools at the event and I think after one day, we were sixth or seventh, and then we didn't play as well the second day. We were 10 shots worse and all the other teams played pretty well, so we got passed by a few and we wound up in the middle of the pack.”

After securing a fifth place finish at the Detrick Invitational, a 13th place finish at the Duke Nelson Invitational cannot be what coach Pendergast was hoping for. With such a young squad, some up and downs early in the season are to be expected.

One of the bright spots in an otherwise forgettable weekend was first-year Brandon Karr's performance. Karr was solid both days, posting two sub-80 rounds and finishing tied for 26th overall. His play ranked second for Tufts only behind junior tri-captain Taylor Nordan. Karr's team best of 76 on Sunday was impressive, but the transcendent moment of Karr’s weekend came on the last hole of regulation. On the 18th hole, a par 3, Karr ended his round with an ace. Literally. After stroking a perfect seven iron, the ball landed directly in the hole for the first hole in one by a Tufts golfer in over 25 years. 

“On 18 the day before, I hooked the ball into the water, so I was really just trying to get something on the green and finish with a par,” Karr said. “I hit my shot just how I wanted to and saw it going right at the pin and then disappear. At first I thought it went over the green, but then I saw a parent walk up and throw his arms in the air. It was a really amazing moment for me and the perfect ending to a solid tournament."

Nordan strung together more good rounds, posting a 73 on Saturday and 77 on Sunday to finish 10th overall,his second top 10 finish in as many weeks. However, despite the strong finishes, Nordan still was not satisfied, pointing to a five hole stretch in his second round that he would love to have back.

I was one over through 12 after missing some short birdie putts.  I made a bogey and then a double and two more bogies after that,” Nordan said. “I’m playing pretty well, but there are definitely things to improve and parts of my game that need work.”

Senior tri-captain Owen Elliot was unable to build off his strong Saturday score of 75, as he followed up with an 83 on Sunday to finish tied for 60th. Junior tri-captain Aaron Corn and first-year Ethan Sorkin rounded out scoring for the Jumbos. They finished with a two round score of 165 and tied for 91st.

Nordan did not blame the course or conditions for the team's play, though he did note that because the course is not part of a country club — Ralph Myhre Golf Course is a part of Middlebury's campus — it plays differently from most of the courses Tufts competes at throughout the year.

“The course is pretty quirky," Nordan said. "It's only 6,300 yards, so they have to do something to stop people from just tearing it apart.  The greens were definitely the most difficult aspect of the course.”

While Tufts struggled on the second day, Middlebury thrived on its home course, finishing second overall.Skidmore took the top spot, led by individual champion senior Mackenzie Nelson while Trinity College, Rochester and Middlebury’s ‘B’ team rounded out the top five.

Tufts will look to bounce back next week when the Jumbos travel to Williams College for the Williams Fall Invitational at Taconic Golf Club.