Outside of the Boot: A failed prediction and a happy fan — Manchester City advance

2016-02-07-Columnist-Headshots-14716

Last week, I predicted that Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) would advance past Manchester City to secure a spot in the Champions League semi-finals. As a die-hard City fan, it was not difficult to see that the team was in a bad run of form. When Pep Guardiola was announced to replace current manager Manuel Pellegrini, City was sitting in second, three points off the leaders Leicester City. In the nine games following the announcement, City won just four times, against Sunderland, West Brom, Aston Villa and Bournemouth, none of which are opposition of quality — those teams have averaged just 31 points this season. In the same stretch, City lost at home to title challengers Leicester City and Tottenham, as well as local rivals Manchester United. Manchester City has been the playground bully this year.  Against smaller sides, they've looked confident, but when it comes to the big boys, it's been a different story. In fact, City has garnered just six points from a possible thirty six against top eight teams this season (their only win came against Southampton in November). With this in mind, and considering a history of underwhelming Champions League performances, I didn’t give City a chance against a PSG side that has been nearly unbeatable this year. Let me tell you, I have never been happier to be wrong.

After a back-and-forth game in Paris ended in a draw and two important away goals for Pellegrini’s side (if a match ends in a draw after two-legs, the first tie breaker is away goals), a 1-0 win at home on Tuesday secured City a place in the semi-finals of the Champions League for the first time in the club’s history. Perhaps most impressive was the display from a defense that has looked shaky at best in the absence of captain Vincent Kompany. Despite allowing PSG 64 percent possession, City limited the French champions to just six shots on the night. Fernando and Fernandinho effectively broke up play in the middle of the park often setting up the counter attack.

“[Our defense] showed a lot of organization, a lot of pride and a lot of passion,” goalkeeper Joe Hart said after the game. It was a fantastic game settled by one of our players instead of one of theirs.”

That player was Kevin De Bruyne, whose blistering strike in the 76th minute caused the Etihad to erupt with jubilation. Since returning from a two-month injury absence, he has scored two goals in as many Champions League games. His link-up play with David Silva and Sergio Aguero has been seamless and he has provided an incisive option for a previously laboring City attack. Every time he touches the ball, he looks dangerous and could very well be the difference for City going forward.

Looking forward to the semi-finals, City could be presented with an awkward opponent. If Bayern Munich advances past Benfica on Wednesday and City draws the Bavarians, Pep Guardiola will face off against his next club. Just thinking about a post-match handshake between Pep and Pellegrini has me cringing.