Golf | Jumbos conclude season with 26th-place finish

In golf, the margin between victory and defeat can be as slim as the difference between a par and a bogey. Consistency is the elusive characteristic that every golfer strives for, but few attain.

For the Jumbos, it was a lack of consistency that frustrated them this season, which concluded over the weekend with a 26th-place finish out of 38 teams at the New England Intercollegiate Golf Association (NEIGA) Championship on Cape Cod. Tufts posted a few strong rounds, including junior Sebastian Vik’s four-over 76 on Sunday, but the team faltered as the tournament concluded and slumped in the standings.

“It always feels good to come out as the low guy, but you also feel disappointed because you could have gone that much lower,” Vik said. “You wish the other guys [on your team] had beaten or tied you so we would have a better go at it as a team. For me, I thought the first day was a good start, but [then] I turned in a pretty high number on Monday.”

A number of Tufts golfers posted scores in the high 70s or low 80s, but there were too many rounds in the mid-80s for the team to make a push into the top half of the standings.

“Golf’s a funny game — personally, I actually felt like I played better during my Monday’s 83 than my Sunday’s 77,” junior co-captain Alex Zorniger said. “It’s really a game defined by a break here and a break there and how you respond to those breaks. On Monday, I got a little frustrated during my round and it cost me a few strokes, whereas on Sunday I maintained my composure pretty well all day and was able to get out of a few jams.”

The tournament was eventually won by Central Connecticut State, whose Monte Mullen took home the individual medalist honors by defeating the University of Rhode Island’s Joseph Leavitt in a playoff. Tufts was able to best NESCAC foes Wesleyan and Bates, who were the only other teams from the conference in the tournament and finished 37th and 33rd, respectively.

The NEIGA Championship concludes a season that saw decidely mixed results for Tufts, including a sixth-place finish at the NESCAC Qualifiers on Sept. 28-29, when the team was within striking distance of a berth in the spring NESCAC Championships.

Members of the team agree on one thing: There has been concrete progress made this fall, and the team will continue to improve in the months and years to come.

“The team as a whole has made some progress, and I think there is a promising future ahead,” Vik said. “Consistency is number one for me — that just means putting in the hours, which can be tough when you’re trying to balance school and golf.”

“Overall, this season we improved,” Zorniger added. “I don’t think anyone’s ecstatic about their play, but we’re moving in the right direction.”

For now, coach Bob Sheldon’s squad will have to head into the winter thinking about what might have been. But the team has already dedicated itself to working hard in the offseason and preparing for another sprint in 2014.

“We all have to stay committed to keeping on top of our games throughout the winter,” Zorniger said. “In the spring, most of the teams are very rusty, and it will be a great opportunity for us to pick off a win if we come out prepared.”