Lessons from the State of the Union

Less than half an hour after 10 p.m., an avalanche of voices and perspectives on the State of the Union had already flooded social media and become a major topic of discussion on Tufts campus. This can be either a dividing factor or a chance for the Tufts community to embark on a journey toward, as President Barack Obama put it, “a better politics." Tufts students need to heed the words of the President, and understand that, although we all do not agree on everything, we are all indeed Tufts students.

The need for a better politics is perhaps more critical now than ever before, as the world is more divided than ever. Stark differences in American values, lifestyles, ideals and beliefs continue to augment in numbers and degrees of complication, generation by generation. Division is hard to avoid; it is increasingly tempting to undermine each others’ interests and prioritize our own, to attempt to dodge strife with imperfect compromise and to forget that we are all humans and students. All too often, we classify ourselves first in political frames of red and blue, taking sides on a conflict and writing off alternative points without a glance. Obama’s words are a national invitation, a reminder that freedom does not have to come with the costs of tensions and conflicts, which threaten to stall the progress of our nation.

The first steps to a better politics are to be open to different ideas and to focus on one unified goal -- a common thrust for self-betterment, a future that does not exclude anyone. For the past few months, the aggressiveness of some activism campaigns on campus has reduced unpopular viewpoints into murmurs in the background. Not all students are Charlie. Not all students agree that Tufts should divest from fossil fuel projects. Not all students agree with the practicality and effectiveness of the “Black Lives Matter” marches. These opposing viewpoints are often demonized.

The pressure to follow the conventional movements on campus can counteract the goals of better politics, which is meant to be a platform for all dissenting voices to be heard and, if possible, reconciled. Discretion and self-judgments should be exercised, since there is a thin line between exercising one’s freedom (e.g. freedom of speech) and becoming an oppressor. A better politics reminds us to make ourselves worthy of the freedom we embrace, without taking it for granted or marring its name.

It will be exciting and inspiring to see the better politics practiced in the Tufts community -- a small bubble of one-mile radius cramped with people carrying all types of personalities from all walks of life. Respecting one another’s interests and listening to all the voices on campus is supporting humanity. The last few words spoken in the State of the Union should resonate with us, emphasizing our shared identity. In the words of Rebekah Erler, “We are a strong, tight-knit family who has made it through some very, very hard times.”