Be safe and smart this Halloween

A recent message regarding the culture surrounding Halloween was sent to Tufts Greek chapters from the presidents of the Inter-Greek Council (IGC) and Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC). The email lays out how Greek life can play a role in creating a safer Halloween climate for all Tufts students by taking a stance against potentially offensive costumes and spreading awareness that sexual assaults can be more frequent during this time. This message is applicable to all Tufts University community members, including those beyond Greek life.

According to the email, Halloween costumes can discriminate based on race, gender, sexuality, immigrant or socioeconomic status and have the possibility to offend when they relate to a tragedy, controversy or act of violence. Although Halloween can be an incredibly fun holiday full of candy, costumes and merrymaking, it is important to be conscientious of the perspectives and narratives of others. Tufts should provide a safe place for students, where they can enjoy themselves without feeling as though any part of their identity is being objectified, tokenized or appropriated. Cultural competency is key and should be exercised when choosing a costume in order to promote a safe and conscientious campus environment.

Additionally, students should be aware of the increase in sexual assaults and alcohol incidents that occur during Halloween on college campuses around the country. Safety during this Halloween weekend is incredibly important and students must remember that consent can never be conveyed by what one is wearing. Verbal consent is of utmost importance for all sexual interactions, regardless of what an individual is wearing and their level of intoxication. This is true in a frat basement, house party or dorm room. The culture surrounding Halloween also often embraces the hyper-sexualization of women’s bodies. A "sexy" costume should not be taken as an indicator of an attitude of sexual desire, and women should not be judged by the costumes they wear or the amount of skin they do or do not choose to reveal.

The coordination between leaders of Greek life with the Dean of Student Affairs and one of our Sexual Misconduct (Title IX) Reporting Liaisons is just one of the many steps we need to take in order to create a safe and welcoming environment at Tufts, during Halloween and on any other weekend. We hope this type of coordination will continue in the future and extend to all members of the Tufts community. Ultimately, however, it's on us to make responsible, sensitive and consensual decisions this Halloween weekend.