A vigil for peace: Tufts Students for Two States unites under a common vision

Tufts Students for Two States is a broad coalition of pro-Israel members of the Tufts Universitycommunity that stands united in our shared belief that a two-state solution represents the best future for Israelis and Palestinians. At the start of this year, we decided  to reinvigorate our collective push for peace between Israelis and Palestinians that was first started two years ago. In accordance with our vision, we wrote a petition outlining the necessity of a permanent political solution to the conflict.

Tonight we will join together to launch our petition and humanize our vision for peace by hosting a vigil to remember the loss of such a vision in the conflict in Gaza and Israel this past summer. We will commemorate the loss of life, grapple with the issues of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and address the deepened divisions in our campus community. We hope to shift the conversation away from blame and toward a politics of responsibility, to present a vision for a better future and recognize our responsibility to make choices to achieve it.

We call on members of our community to join us in affirming that the status quo is unsustainable. We cannot allow this most recent cease-fire to become merely another pause in the fighting. Instead, we must push for a permanent political solution to the conflict.

Whatever your background or political belief, we invite you to join us in remembering all those lost in this latest cycle of violence and in our mission to bring peace to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, tonight at 8 p.m. on the Tisch Library Roof. Please help us maintain a respectful space by refraining from bringing flags, banners or other paraphernalia. If you cannot attend, but would like to sign the petition and learn more about our vision, please visit www.tsforts.com.