Enforcing current policies will not solve problems

Parties and the drinking culture that surrounds them are undeniably part of the quintessential “college experience.” Even at a school like Tufts University, which does not consider itself to be particularly centered around Greek life and its connotations, it would be quite a feat to avoid fraternities and sororities in their entirety. The presence of Greek life becomes even more apparent during events such as this weekend’s homecoming celebration.

But with providing entertainment and fun to a group of more than 5,000 students comes great responsibility. Each year the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (OFSL),  in conjunction with the Tufts University Police Department (TUPD), Health Services and the Interfraternity Counsel holds mandatory party host training for all fraternities who are looking to host parties in the coming year. Greek organizations must register anything that might be considered a party with OFSL, which helps keep TUPD -- whose ultimate goals parallel those of Greek organizations -- “in the loop.”

This year, the OFSL is working to publicize the party rules and regulations that are put into play to ensure the safety of partygoers. These rules, which include wristbands for all those over 21 years old, marking the hands of those who are under 21 years old with an “X” and insisting that all parties with alcohol must be “BYOB," have always been in play, but are receiving special attention and emphasis this fall.

While it is commendable that Greek life is taking steps to protect the safety of the student body, one must raise the question of whether prioritizing these rules is the best way to encourage safety with regards to drugs and alcohol on campus. It is certainly important to educate members of fraternities about their responsibility to prioritize safety as party hosts, but it is equally as important to ensure that every student is knowledgeable about the policies regarding the health and safety of his peers and friends. Many students are unclear about exactly what the repercussions of calling Tufts Emergency Medical Services are, a confusion that could put the safety of many at risk as they are forced to weigh the health of their friends against the possible academic and disciplinary consequences that might result. This conflict of interest was actually eliminated, albeit without much notice, by the Good Samaritan and Amnesty clauses that the university adopted in fall 2013.

Rules and regulations are important, but enforcing these rules within the frats will not mend a situation that can have consequences much greater than simply not knowing who can legally drink alcohol.