'Boston Strong' unites resilient city

As the Boston Red Sox celebrated their World Series title among millions of fans at this Saturday's duck boat parade in Boston, a phrase that didn't really exist seven months ago echoed throughout the region. It's a ubiquitous term that is plastered on T-shirts, coffee mugs, street signs, status updates, newspapers - you name it. "Boston Strong," which initially served as a rally call to honor and support those affected by the Marathon bombings, reminding everyone how resilient the city and its people are, has since extended beyond the context of the tragedy to serve as a symbol of strength for every aspect of the city.

These words unified Bostonians in April, continuing this past weekend as the Red Sox paused their Rolling Rally at the Marathon finish line near Copley to pay respect to victims of the attack. It is an important and valuable expression that ties a city together, indicative of the roaring spirit that saw Boston through hard times.

However, the phrase, like any popular slogan, has received negative feedback. Critics have rolled their eyes at "Boston Strong" and even more at its Twitter counterpart "#BostonStrong," denouncing it as an over-popularized and misused catchphrase that has worn out its welcome.

Indeed, because of its powerful and sensitive message, "Boston Strong" is not something to be thrown around thoughtlessly. There are situations when the term is inappropriate to use: "Boston Strong" is not a rally chant to tip over a car during a celebration, nor should it be the toast to kick-start a round of shots on a night of reckless drunken antics. It is not a slogan to be slapped on a T-shirt to sell for one's personal profit or to be used as an advertising prop. Congratulate the Red Sox all you would like, but to use the term "Boston Strong" for personal advertisement ignores the fact that while Boston is strong, the phrase came from the fact that Boston was stronger than what happened at the marathon. And of course, it is unacceptable to mock the term as some out-of-state sports fans have. "Boston Weak" and the like are not tolerable terms, if not out of personal conscience, then out of respect to the victims of the attacks, as well as the hardworking law enforcement officers who shut down the city to protect their people.

Despite criticisms of the phrase, "Boston Strong" remains a powerful symbol of the city's ability to bounce back from adversity stronger than ever - a symbol that should be cherished and rallied around. It comes with the baggage of pain but invokes the spirit of a city that has and will continue to do anything to overcome the odds and retain its strength. The term has helped raise nearly 100 million dollars for organizations such as the One Fund, which donates money to victims and aids recovery.

"Boston Strong may be overused." It may be used in manners that have nothing to do with its genesis. It may be mocked by rival sports fans. People could very well be using the term for their own profit. However, to negate its importance, as well as what it has done and what it truly means, is doing a disservice to a people who are truly Boston Strong.

"Boston Strong" serves not only as a salve to a wound, but also as a strong regeneration of a city's identity. The term should be loved and forever remembered as the two words that rallied a city.