From the Editor-in-Chief | Ringing in a new semester

Feature-Image_Place-HolderPRESLAWN2

Welcome back to those of you returning to the Hill. To the Class of 2017, congratulations on Matriculation, and welcome to campus. You’ve survived Orientation week. Now, here’s to a good first week of classes.

At the Daily, we’ve made our way back to the basement of Curtis Hall, and we’ll be printing issues every other day for the next two weeks. In that time, we’ll be reaching out to you and welcoming new faces to the Daily.

There is no telling how you’ll decide to interact with the Daily this semester — whether it be joining our staff of writers or photographers, learning how to lay out our News section or selling advertisements in our paper. Maybe you’ll overhear your peers talking about an outrageous Op-Ed and turn to our opinion page to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe you’ll check back weekly for your favorite Sports, Features, Opinion or Arts column (or maybe you’ll be writing one). Maybe, just maybe, you’ll read each and every article, each and every day. Or maybe you’ll just flip to the Sudoku, and that’s fine too.

No matter how you choose to interact with us, we rely on you to shape our newspaper. We work to produce content that reflects what the Tufts community is doing by filling our pages with what policies you’re protesting, what events you’re attending, what championships you’re winning and what performances you’re giving. You are inevitably a part of the process.

All we ask is that you keep an open mind. Come curious, and leave more curious than you started. Let us be a source of campus dialogue. (And let me emphasis the “a,” as I very well understand that we are not the end-all source.) Hold us accountable for our coverage of campus and community activities, and please don’t hold back if you find something with which you agree or disagree.

We’re students just like you, and we aren’t perfect. But we do promise to offer you the most relevant and informative campus news, and we promise to do so fairly and candidly. It’s up to you what you make of it and what you do about it.

Join us in the basement of Curtis Hall, tweet at us @TuftsDaily, email us at daily@tuftsdaily.com, find us on Facebook, check out our blog JumboSlice or read and comment on our website, tuftsdaily.com. We’ll stay accessible through as many outlets as possible, so long as you continue to engage with us.

Good luck, and here’s to a great semester.

Sincerely,
Hannah Fingerhut
Editor-in-Chief