Running unopposed, Tesser discusses goals for TCU Presidency

IMG_9398-e1429679424615
Junior Brian Tesser announced as next year's TCU President.

For the first time in recent memory, the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate presidential election, taking place today, is uncontested. Brian Tesser is the sole candidate running for the position, though students will also have the option of selecting a write-in candidate or abstaining from voting. 

Tesser, a junior currently studying abroad in Madrid, says he hopes to tackle pressing issues as TCU President, such as on-campus and off-campus housing and sexual assault policies.

“I want to run for TCU President because I want to help students and have an impact on this campus,” Tesser told the Daily in an email. “Since I came to Tufts, I have seen some of the problems that students here deal with, and I am passionate about reaching out to groups and trying to find solutions to solve problems.”

According to Tesser, the lack of competition in the presidential elections came as a huge surprise, but he reaffirmed that he would remain steadfast in pursuing his original goals.

“I’m not happy that the election is uncontested,” Tesser said. “At a school like Tufts, filled with so many involved, active and vibrant people, I am incredibly surprised that nobody is running against me. With that said, I don’t think that it changes much about my potential presidency or the way that I plan on tackling the problems at Tufts.”

TCU Parliamentarian Gauri Seth, a supporter of Tesser’s campaign, echoed Tesser’s disappointment in the lack of competition in the presidential race.

“I really wished someone else was running, and I really wish that this student body was more engaged with Senate,” Seth said. “The president of TCU Senate gets to voice their opinion to a lot of different people. They sit in a lot of different meetings with President [Anthony] Monaco, [Director of Campus Life] Joe Golia and all of these people that have big voices on this campus and can really help us make change. So I think it’s crucial that the student body has an idea of what different stances are.”

Tesser said that he will seek achievable goals in bringing transparency to the Senate.

“I have a lot of things that I want to accomplish as president, but I think it's important to remain realistic about my goals,” Tesser said. “I am going to work at increasing Senate outreach, and along with that, Senate transparency. I think it’s important to keep the students involved in the decisions that we make, and I want to work to increase our communication with the student body.”

Tesser, who has been involved in Senate since his first year, has served in various positions such as parliamentarian and student outreach chair. Though these positions gave him a sense of the inner workings of the organization, Tesser said he is qualified to be president for different reasons.

“I am not a qualified candidate because I have held these positions,” he said. “I am a qualified candidate because I think that I am in tune to student concerns and I know how to tackle problems in efficiency ... I also think that in order to be an effective president, or leader in general, one must know how to work well with other and to value the opinions of others. I think this is something incredibly strong that I will bring to the presidency.”

Kathryn Waymack, Tesser’s campaign manager, said Tesser’s true concern for the wellbeing of students makes him an ideal candidate. This passion, coupled with his work ethic, has won him support from many students on campus, Waymack said.

“It’s really cool because you can genuinely see how much [Brian] cares about the student body as whole,” Waymack said. “He really wants to unite everyone in a way and have everyone be informed -- have everyone’s voices be heard. Hearing him say it, you can tell he genuinely wants to get that done. I know he’s a very fun person, but he's also a very hard worker, and working on this campaign with him has shown how much he himself can get done.”

Current TCU President Robert Joseph said he feels confident in Tesser’s capabilities as future president.

“I definitely think he’s prepared," he said. "I think he’s well connected to a number of different communities on campus that will help him next year. [I’m] hoping that he will connect the student body in various different ways. I think that’s he’s well equipped to do the job.”

As he steps into his new position next year, Tesser wants to tackle challenges as early as possible. Issues such as the recent controversies surrounding the TCU Senate Treasury are already part of his agenda for next year, and Tesser said he plans to work with both the Treasury and student groups to develop tangible solutions to the problem.

Tesser admitted that Senate work can be frustrating, but despite the criticism and hardships of TCU Senate, he hopes to remain steadfast in overcoming the obstacles he will face.

“Every year comes with its own unique set of challenges," Tesser said. "In my past three years on Senate, I have seen a full spectrum of problems, and I do not expect next year to be any different. While there will be challenge[s], I think that it’s incredibly important to be proactive and to work to overcome problems early on."