Commons dining center reopens to mixed reactions

2015-01-14-Commons-Opening-1071
The Commons Marketplace celebrated its grand reopening in the campus center on Jan. 14.

Tufts Dining Services opened the newly-renovated Commons Marketplace on Jan. 14, the first day of the spring semester, according to Director of Dining and Business Services Patti Klos.

“People like the design, colors and layout,” Klos said. She added, however, that since the space could not be made any larger, the marketplace would likely continue to experience challenges with flow and long lines during peak times.

“We anticipated this, so we’ve made operational changes to address speed of service, and continue to work with the staff on working efficiently," Klos said. "Because of space constraints, we streamlined the menu. We are more focused now on quality and speed of service."

Klos has heard both positive and negative feedback from students so far.

“Not everyone likes change, and while we worked hard to satisfy the many palates of our broad community, we can’t be everything to everyone. We’ve heard from a few students who have said they don’t like the new layout or the fact that prices have increased. Others tell us they absolutely love [the new food station] Toss and other changes,” Klos added.

Klos explained that the renovations included a series of open-spaced aesthetic changes as well as a revamped menu and a new serving style.

Dining Services has introduced a new serving concept, in which there are different stations within the Commons that include Toss, Press, Sizzle, Mix and Match and Shop, Klos said.

Klos explained that students can now obtain made-to-order salads and hot bowls at Toss and hot paninis at the Press station. The updated grill area Sizzle now serves sandwiches and double patty Angus burgers, and Mix and Match offers soups, hot food and a salad bar, she said.

Finally, to replace the former Jumbo Express convenience store, the Shop section "features more urban and local foods," Klos said.

Many students expressed mixed reviews about the new Commons. They expressed excitement about the new eatery but note that there has been an increase in price and decrease in variety.

"Visually, the Commons looks great," junior Jenna Hassam said. "Unfortunately, once you realize that you can only get tossed salads for lunch during the week, and that there are none of the old Commons sandwiches [such as Big Cheez and California Torpedo] offered, and that the 'marketplace' is anything but, the visual appeal isn't enough to satisfy you anymore.”

Alexandra Erath, a junior who is also a columnist for the Daily, also expressed disappointment at the lack of sandwich variety.

"I really don't like how they got rid of the vast majority of the sandwiches they used to offer, as those used to be my favorite part of the old Commons," she said.

Erath added, however, that she likes the new salad bar. "It's a little expensive, but all of the different customizable options and the way they toss [the salad] for you makes up for it," she said.

According to junior Akshita Vaidyanathan, the best dining-hall alternatives on campus are not as good as they used to be.

“My least favorite part about the new Commons is that they got rid of the wrap and sandwich bar. That was the best part of the Commons," she said.

Vaidyanathan added that as a vegetarian, she was disappointed to see fewer vegetarian options in the new Commons. "Although the new renovations are more aesthetically appealing, the Commons is now more expensive and has fewer options and I myself will definitely be eating there less often than I did last year."

Klos acknowledged that prices have increased and that the new menu may be more limited.

“We had not raised our prices in at least four years, yet food costs have risen significantly, especially in the past 18 months. The responsible thing to do was to raise prices where necessary,” she said.

“Our new menu may be more limited, but there are more opportunities for customization, and there are lots and lots of choices. We plan to introduce new items more frequently, rotating out items that are less popular and [introducing] new items to follow the seasons and food trends," Klos said.

Both Erath and Hassam noted that after the excitement surrounding the new Commons, they observed that many students were underwhelmed by the result.

“Everyone that I have talked to is less than impressed with the renovations. Especially considered how much hype there was about the new Commons, the outcome is a real letdown,” Hassam said.

“I haven't met one person who actually likes the new Commons better; most people either dislike it or don't feel strongly either way,” Erath added.

Students also expressed mixed feelings about other areas of the new Commons besides the variety and price of food. Erath said she was disappointed with Shop, the area intended to replace Jumbo Express.

“It has almost none of the products the old Jumbo Express used to carry, and I miss the convenience of an on-campus convenience store,” she said.

Senior Enxhi Popa noted that she would like to see the Commons sell fresh produce.

“I really like how the Commons sells packaged food and snacks in addition to their already cooked meals. Since many students live off campus and prepare their own meals at home, it would be helpful to have the Commons sell fresh produce that students can purchase and then cook at home,” Popa said.

Regardless of mixed reviews, Klos said that to date, the performance of sales is on track.

Klos acknowledged that she welcomes all feedback and said she hopes to hear from customers in order to make improvements.

“We welcome all feedback and certainly want to hear from all our customers. We are committed to continuous improvement," she said. "In fact, key to the new concepts is the feedback we received from the retail satisfaction survey conducted last winter, along with focus groups with underclass students, upperclass students, graduate students, staff and faculty. We plan to invite the focus group participants from last year to meet with us again in the coming weeks to review the changes.”