Tufts community members come together to reflect on Ferguson trial findings

2014-11-25-Gathering-in-Goddard-8

Tufts faculty, staff and students came together at noon on Tuesday, filling Goddard Chapel, to reflect on yesterday's announcement of Missouri grand jury's decision not to indict Darren Wilson. Wilson, a 28-year-old white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., shot and killed Michael Brown, an 18-year-old unarmed black man, on Aug. 9.

Tufts University Chaplain Reverend Greg McGonigle noted that the meeting was intended to serve as "an opportunity to share thoughts and feelings, ideas and plans that we might have for what’s next, how to move forward from this moment, and to do so as a community."

Provost and Senior Vice President David Harris said that he thought it was important to first "acknowledge that the events of the past 12, 16 hours have impacted many in our community."

He added that it was a testament to that degree to which people were affected that such a large group showed up on the day before Thanksgiving break.

"I think it’s shaken our trust in the legal system," Harris said, adding trust in the U.S. law enforcement system as well. "It’s shaken our connection to one another."

Harris said that he believes it is important to share perspectives, but it is not the role of the university to take a position on the findings of the grand jury.

"But it is the role of the university to help us as a community … to understand what’s happening," he added, noting that the university will work with the Center for the Study of Race and Democracy to organize events and programing, but likely not until January.

Africana Center Director Katrina Moore spoke about her past growing up in the South and facing discrimination.

"I can tell you I am angry again because I never thought in 2014 that we would have to have this kind of gathering, that we would have to have this kind of conversation again, so I really challenge you to think about what is it about black people that is so threatening to this country, what is it about having a black president that is so threatening, that we can't come together and work together and make changes together, what is it?" she asked.

Moore said she hopes students take the passion they have shown on campus to effect structural changes beyond Tufts. It is up to students to get angry about the changes that need to happen and make the changes, according to Moore.

"I challenge you, go deep in your thinking, don’t just focus on the tragedy that happened to Michael Brown, the total disrespect to his family of how this all unraveled itself, don't just focus on that, but focus on what we need to do to make this change." she said. "Racism is alive and well."

Neubauer Executive Director of Hillel Rabbi Jeffrey Summit spoke next about furthering commitment to the work of education and social justice to effect real change.

"We pray that not only in Ferguson, but in communities across our country … that we commit ourselves to making that pledge that many of us have said in school -- a country of liberty and justice for all," he said.

McGonigle then opened up the discussion to audience participants to come up front and speak after their thoughts and feelings.

Associate Professor of Art and Art History Adriana Zavala talked about the responsibility that Tufts as an institution has to educating its students about where the country stands today.

"All of us can benefit from learning more, period," she said.