Palestinian Faculty Perspectives on Gaza

2014-09-22-Palestinian-Faculty-Perspectives-on-Gaza-6
9/22/14 – Medford/Somerville, MA – Professor Sa'ed Atshan speaks during the Palestinian Faculty Perspectives on Gaza event in Cabot Auditorium on September 23rd, 2014. (Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily)

Tufts professors came together last night to present "Palestinian Faculty Perspectives on Gaza," a series of three speeches on their research and personal views on the current conflict in the Gaza Strip. The event, which was sponsored by Tufts Arabic Program and the the Middle Eastern Studies Program, took place at 7:30 p.m. in a full Cabot ASEAN Auditorium.

Associate Professor of Arabic Kamran Rastegar opened the discussion, introducing the three speakers and presenting the upcoming Tufts events concerning the Middle East.

The first speaker, Lecturer of Peace and Justice Studies Sa'ed Atshan, presented on the history of the Gaza Strip and Israeli-Palestinian relations from 1948 through today. He spoke of the violent conflict in Gaza this past summer and the portrayal of the conflict by foreign media.

The next speaker, Assistant Professor of Anthropology Amahl Bishara, spoke of her personal experience in protests across the region and the treatment of protesters. The final speaker, Lecturer of Arabic Souad Zendah, presented on her personal and familial connections to Gaza.

9/22/14 – Medford/Somerville, MA – Lecturer Souhad Zendah is embraced after her speech during the Palestinian Faculty Perspectives on Gaza event in Cabot Auditorium on September 23rd, 2014. (Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily) (Nicholas Pfosi / The Tufts Daily)