Fantasy prospect watch

With Kris Bryant, Addison Russell and Yasmany Tomas already being called up to the majors, I wanted to take a look at several elite prospects that should be called up shortly.

Francisco Lindor has had an iffy start to the 2015 season in triple-A. Through his first 15 games, he was hitting just .196. However, the Indians' future star stole 30 bases across three levels in 2014 and seems like a good bet to be an MLB starter by June. Lindor should be especially valuable considering his eligibility at shortstop, arguably the weakest position in fantasy. He is a reasonable bet to hit north of .275 with nearly double-digit HRs and close to 25 SBs.

In the NL, Maikel Franco has been forgotten about in most fantasy circles, but in 2013 he hit 31 HRs with 103 RBIs in the minors. A mediocre 2014 derailed his value, but through his first 16 games, Franco was hitting .352 with 10 RBIs. He is a third baseman with the ability to play first, so if Ryan Howard is traded, expect Franco to get the call.

Jose Peraza is a player who can single-handedly win the stolen base category. The Braves triple-A middle infielder has stolen 60+ bases in consecutive seasons and has an easy road to the majors ahead of him with Atlanta’s atrocious 2B situation. He is just 20 years old and does not walk much, so the Braves would prefer to keep him in Gwinnett as long as possible, but he should be up around the All-Star break and could still steal 30 bases.

Throughout March, I argued with Red Sox fans who tried to explain to me that the Boston starting rotation would not be that bad. It would be middle-of-the-pack, they said. However, the fact of the matter is, not only do they not have an ace, but they also do not have a No. 2 starter and maybe not even a No. 3. Henry Owens is the best pitcher in the Red Sox organization.

At two levels in 2014, Owens won 17 games, had a 2.94 ERA and 1.13 WHIP and struck out 172 batters in 151 innings. For fantasy purposes, I see him as the best starting pitcher still in the minors right now. His low ratios and amazing strikeout rate make him a fantasy owner’s dream. I think the Sox should call him up today, but I expect them to wait until early- to mid-June.

The Mets have had a great start to the season and have supposedly elite prospect Noah Syndergaard on the way. However, I have been negative on him for the last year and a half and will be avoiding him completely this season. Since his elbow injury in May 2014, he has been overmatched at triple-A. He was a train wreck last season and allowed five earned runs and 15 baserunners in his first 7.2 innings this season. The triple-A ace will get called up before the All-Star break, but I will let someone else snag him.

Finally, I think the Twins have the worst rotation in the AL, but they have two of the best minor league starters waiting in the wings. Alex Meyer is the highly touted 25-year-old with a great fastball-slider combination, and Jose Berrios is a 20-year-old, major league-ready prospect with elite strikeout potential. I will not be rushing to the waiver wire to sign either one right now, because they have both had iffy ratios to start the year, but the second they are called up, I will be freeing up a roster spot. Even in shallower leagues, they will be worth a stream.