Sneak peek: orientation productions

As Orientation Week continues, be sure to catch one of the orientation shows presented by Torn Ticket II and 3Ps (Pen, Paint and Pretzels), two of Tufts’ student-run theater groups. Here is a sneak preview of what they have in store for you:

Ordinary Days

Torn Ticket II is going back to the basics with “Ordinary Days." The group has returned to its practice of performing a musical comprised of concrete storylines and characters, rather than performing a primarily theme-based show, as it has done in recent years. This one-act musical tells the story of a graduate student, artist and couple as they all navigate the perils and joys of living in New York City. Directed by senior Megan McCormick, the show promises to engage audience members by illustrating many of the challenges of transitioning into college life.

Torn Ticket president Lucy Kania noted the value of the show's theme.

“At its heart, ‘Ordinary Days’ is about finding moments of beauty, meaning and connection in everyday life, which is something I think we should all strive for," Kania, a senior, said. "It reminds us that friendships are the most important relationships that we form in college and are just as fulfilling as romantic ones."

Gruesome Playground Injuries

3Ps is also returning to the fundamentals, with “Gruesome Playground Injuries” being the group’s first two-person show in recent memory. Written by contemporary American playwright Rajiv Joseph, the play tells the story of two childhood friends, Doug and Kayleen, whose lives periodically intersect with one another, leading them to reflect on the past and what keeps bringing them together.

Director Kevin Lombard said he feels that the show has particular value for those acclimating to life at Tufts.

“One of the reasons that I love this show is that it is a hard show to watch,” Lombard, a junior, said. "It gets into the gross, gritty details that we often try to overlook in our daily lives. Being a first-semester freshman is a really hard job, and what I think is important about this show is that it reminds everyone that sadness and pain are normal parts of life. These challenges are what allows us to grow and learn.”

“Ordinary Days” will be shown on Sept. 4 at 9 p.m. and Sept. 5 at 2 p.m. "Gruesome Playground Injuries" will be shown on Sept. 4 at 7 p.m. and Sept. 5 at 4 p.m. All shows will be performed in the Balch Arena Theater in the Aidekman Arts Center and are free and open to the public.