'The Hunger Games' series concludes with uninspired final installment

ENTER_HUNGERGAMES-MOVIE-REVIEW-ADV19_2_MCT
Jennifer Lawrence, Mahershala Ali and Liam Hemsworth in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 2.

"I’ll say this for you, Katniss, you don't disappoint," says Haymitch (Woody Harrelson) to Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) near the end of the “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 2,” released on Nov. 20. Unfortunately, the same could not be said about the final installment in the immensely popular "Hunger Games" series (2012 - 2015). It isn't that “Mockingjay Part 2” is a bad film; rather, its style isn’t consistent with the original trilogy of books.

“Mockingjay -- Part 2” is a war movie, nothing more. While the original "Hunger Games" film was colorful and inspiring, desperate to please the tween crowd that the film appealed to, “Part 2” leaves its roots behind and presents a film of violence and complicated politics -- mature topics better suited to adults. The film is dark, not just metaphorically, but also in the literal sense -- one often has to squint to see what is going on. 

The movie begins just as “Mockingjay -- Part 1” (2014) leaves off. Katniss Everdeen is recovering from her strangulation by Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), who is still tied to a hospital bed after his rescue from the Capitol.

The pace hastens quickly, however, as Katniss recovers from not being able to speak in what appears to be a matter of hours. (Or is it days? The film does a poor job marking time). She sets out to fight on the frontlines of the rebellion against the Capitol with one goal in mind: assassinate President Snow (Donald Sutherland).In response, the president of District Thirteen, President Coin (Julianne Moore), sends a group of top fighters and cameramen to follow and help Katniss. This group consists of both Gale (Liam Hemsworth) and Peeta -- yes, Peeta has miraculously recovered -- reviving the uncomfortable love triangle. The majority of the movie covers this group of fighters navigating their way through the abandoned streets of the Capitol, where they encounter pods: deadly traps like ones used in the Hunger Games competitions. Ultimately, their goal is to reach Snow’s mansion.

As in previous films of the franchise, the actors do the best they can with what material they have. In this movie, some are given very little. Gale, Katniss's childhood best friend, exists simply to create romantic tension. He sees his chance to be with Katniss while Peeta is hypnotized, but Peeta cures himself -- implausibly quickly -- of the Capitol’s manipulation. This development is hardly more than a thinly veiled plot device meant to move the Peeta-Katniss relationship forward. Later, Peeta randomly regains his conditioned hatred for Katniss once or twice. Presumably, this has some sort of purpose, but it only comes off as confusing. After Peeta recounts his inner emotional struggle against the backdrop of terrifying war scenes, it is clear that Gale is not the favored love interest. As for Katniss, Lawrence has played the character consistently well throughout the franchise, and “Part 2” is no exception. Her acting is sometimes brilliant, although the delivery of a few of her lines comes across repetitive and boring.

The actors playing the adult characters, by and large, deliver successful portrayals. Moore's President Coin is faithful to the books -- direct in her manner but still somewhat evasive. It is clear Coin’s cohort, Plutarch Heavensbee (Philip Seymour Hoffman), was meant to be in more scenes, but the actor’s untimely death caused these scenes to be rewritten.

Sutherland’s performance as President Snow is the greatest in the franchise, and he is at his best in “Part 2.” Sutherland has had limited screen time throughout the series, but he is extraordinary in every one of his scenes here. His sinister grin and grave expressions bring a true level of seriousness to the war. In “Part 2,” Snow is visibly tired and ill, often coughing blood into his handkerchief. While his menace is felt throughout the film, Snow himself has become weak and spends most of the movie at his desk in his mansion. However, Snow’s final conversation with Katniss near the end of the film is so captivating, horrifying and well-acted by Sutherland, the rest of the film is quite worth the wait. His acting almost makes the audience, and even Katniss, sympathize with Snow.

Fans of the books can expect a faithful, albeit uninspired ending. Perhaps the slight dullness is the result of filling two hours of screen time with roughly half a book of source material. The final product is similar to the book in plot, but it is not exact, and the film heavily relies on violence and its own shock-value. Fans of the books and films are likely to check this final installment out in theaters, but they shouldn't get their hopes up too high. As long as they don’t expect a film as good as “Catching Fire” (2013) or one that is light and fun, they’ll find “Part 2” to be a relatively average conclusion to the "Hunger Games" franchise.

Summary As long as viewers don’t expect a film as good as “Catching Fire” or one that is light and fun, they’ll find “Part 2” to be a relatively average ending for the "Hunger Games" franchise.