Chloe Hyman explores varied artistic passions at Tufts

Hyman complements her fine arts endeavors with activity in The Institute and TUTV.

It would not be inaccurate to say that junior Chloe Hyman lives and breathes art. At Tufts, she has explored a variety of artistic avenues, both inside and outside the classroom. Her studies as an art history major have led her to Venice, Italy, where she is currently working on a research paper for a seminar on the treasury in St. Mark's Basilica. She was inspired to take on the project after a trip to Venice this summer.

Hyman participates in many different arts-related extracurricular activities at Tufts. She currently works at the Tufts University Art Gallery and sits in on the gallery's Student Advocacy Council, a group that publicizes gallery events and activities to the student body. Chloe also works for Medium, the Tufts art history journal, participates in sketch comedy group The Institute and acts in the TUTV miniseries "Pantheon University" (2016). Hyman's vision for her future, however, used to be more specialized.

“I was actually an actor as a kid," she said. "I did a lot of child acting growing up. So I thought that I was going to go to college to get a degree but also [to] use the theater department ... I’ve instead sort of segued into appreciation of art.”

This past summer, Hyman interned at an art gallery in New York City, an experience that changed her stance on working at a gallery in the future.

“I actually spoke on the phone with someone from 'Breaking Bad' [2008-2013]" she said. "He wanted to buy a painting, and I was like, 'Oh are you gonna come in and see it?’ He ended up not caring which one he bought. I was thinking, ‘You’re gonna drop $20,000 on a painting and you don’t even want to look at it?' So, I’m nixing the whole weird, expensive gallery thing.”

Hyman also created a personal art blog, canvasandcrumpets.com, where she displays her own art -- including psychedelic coasters made out of alcohol ink and tile -- and reviews others’ artwork.

“I posted DIYs, so I showed people how to make those psychedelic coasters," Hyman said. "And then I also review exhibitions I’ve been to ... I also like the idea of museum work and doing curating or education for a museum because art changed my life, and it’d be great to get art into schools that don’t have it.”