Julia Stein performs her heart out with TDC, Tufts Takht, Wind Ensemble

a0422stein1
Julia Stein dances her heart out on stage in Cohen Auditorium.

Tufts University will surely miss the energy of senior psychology major Julia Stein when she makes her way into the real world this May.  But Stein isn’t getting sentimental quite yet. In an email interview with the Daily, she not so solemnly reminisced about her time dabbling in various artistic groups at Tufts, from Concert Board to TDC, Tufts Takht (Arabic Music Ensemble) to Wind Ensemble, as well as her various artistic influences along the way.

Says Stein, “In high school … I joined the 'Treble Makers' a cappella group. The only way I weaseled my way into the group was because I can beat box and hum at the same time, so I convinced the group to let me in as a two-for-one deal. Freshman year I tried out for almost every a cappella group, some of the dance teams, whatever you would qualify BEATS as, and failed miserably.”

"Resilience" is Stein’s middle name, however, and she quickly found her place with one of the most infamous Tufts dance groups: TDC.

“Freshman year I joined TDC my fall semester, in the 'Hyphy with Class' dance. Little did I know this would become such a defining part of my Tufts experience. Every semester after that I was in two dances, and then started choreographing my sophomore year. Now I'm on the executive board!”

Aside from TDC, Stein notes, “[I am] most proud of the work I did as Concert Board co-chair with my better half, Mark Joshua Bernardo … It was such a great experience to be a part of planning the large-scale concerts here at Tufts, from picking the artists and tending to their occasionally absurd hospitality needs to running an organization with passionate members.”

The last feats she hopes to accomplish before graduation?

“I want to beat the reigning champ at ping pong and plan an awesome Senior Week!”