Mumford and Sons explore fresh musical territory with single 'Believe'

a0312nuggetbelieve1
Mumford and Sons explores newer, synth sounds as it abandons its folk instruments on its new single, "Believe."

While students everywhere in Boston rejoiced for the inkling of spring weather on March 9, fans of Mumford and Sons had something extra to be excited about: the release of the band's single, "Believe." The London band's first new music since the release of its second studio album "Babel" (2012),"Believe" signifies a significant departure from the folksy feel of both "Babel" and its first album, "Sigh No More" (2009).

Set in London, the music video for "Believe" takes the viewer on a harrowing drive through the twists and turns of downtown roads as the car slips in and out of tunnels and around pedestrians. The disorienting ride mirrors the confusion in the lyrics; lead vocalist Marcus Mumford sings, "I don't even know if I believe / Everything you're trying to say to me."

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE[/embed]

The video reaches its climax right at the entry of an electric guitar solo halfway through the song, as the car races through a tunnel and out into a kaleidoscope of color during an instrumental interlude. The tension of the angst-ridden song is partially relieved at the end, when the camera finally comes to rest on the image of a bench overlooking the city. 

While the instrumentation is clearly different than in the past -- no banjo to be heard here -- the lyrics of “Believe” also seem to strike a simpler, even less innovative, chord. Luckily, fans will be able to decide for sure how they like the new sound of Mumford and Sons with the scheduled release of its new album, “Wilder Mind” on May 4.