Sarah Gruen makes stress taste good

a0219spotlightgruen2

Talking to sophomore Sarah Gruen is like riding a roller coaster while wearing a blindfold – you have no idea where you’re going, and she’ll take you through some twists and loops but it’ll definitely be a good time. Along the way, she will throw in quips that seem to come from left field, yet they carry the conversation rather than knock it off its feet.

Gruen puts her skill with words to use writing and acting with The Institute, a student sketch comedy group, which participated in the National College Comedy Festival at Skidmore College this past weekend, as well as pursuing majors in political science and English (both undeclared, she is quick to point out). Gruen is also a member of Tufts' only co-ed Jewish a cappella group, Shir Appeal, co-chair of Jewish Women at Tufts and “also a fan of long walks on the beach.”

Perhaps one of Gruen’s most striking traits is her penchant for baking, which started in high school as a means to relieve stress. She learned how to set goals by learning how to follow recipes. When questioned about the healthiness of stress-baking, Gruen quipped, “That also contributed to the Sarah Gruen great weight gain of 2012.” Exercise had also been an option; baking just proved more satisfying.

Now in college, Gruen bakes far less often than she did in high school. Dorm kitchens are not the ideal location for baking, apparently, and the microfridge is not a suitable substitute for its macro counterpart. Baking without real utensils can make the process stressful and affect the finished product. That, said Gruen, defeats the whole point.

At home, she bakes up a storm, often bringing back goodies for her friends here on the Hill. In fact, one of Gruen’s goals for this summer is to bake a wedding cake.“Not for a wedding! I just want to make a wedding cake – like four tiers, the whole shebang - just for sh*ts and giggles.” If you see her on the Hill, say hi, and maybe she will bake you something delicious. The fastest way to her friend’s hearts, she says, is through their stomachs -- “It’s worked so far."