Gabe Rothman fearlessly expands musical repertoire with collaborations, cross-genre experimentation

R&B, chamber music, jazz, klezmer, hip-hop, you name it, Gabe Rothman has likely played it. A senior majoring in biopsychology and minoring in music, Rothman joined the Tufts music scene his first fall on campus and hasn't stopped playing. Taking stock of his musical endeavors throughout his time on the Hill, Rothman reflected in an email interview on the support he has received throughout his time in college, favorite music-making memories and what he is hoping to leave Medford with before graduation this upcoming May.

It should come as no surprise that the multi-talented Rothman -- trombonist, violinist, guitarist and aspiring mandolin-player -- was confident in starting, or rather continuing, his musical career when he arrived at Tufts. He references his time in high school playing with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra, the only ensemble of its type in the country, in getting him to a place where he “was very comfortable being very far outside the box [and] more adventurous in selecting repertoire and assembling collaborations.” While his earlier years at Tufts were spent in more organized groups, his last few semesters have been the most innovative.

“Last year I started playing in more student-run groups, and these have become my focus in my last year at Tufts,” Rothman said. Referring to his development of a piece with The Bande, a live accompaniment to Sarabande dances, Rothman notes, "I get a great feeling out of being challenged by amazingly talented musicians, there's a different, more satisfying sense of ownership over an arrangement that we develop together."

Always quick to acknowledge the contributions of fellow collaborators, Rothman also mentioned his recent playing with funk group Blue Ives. "These guys are some of the best musicians I've ever played with … and they make everyone else in the group sound ten times better."

Music lovers won’t regret checking out Rothman’s upcoming performances at the Rez Open Mic on Thursday, Feb. 12 with “The Drunken Noodles,” and also at Zeta Psi in the Jumbonnaroo Music Festival the night of Thursday, March 5 with Blue Ives.