Take-a-break books

Well, book-lovers, we’re nearing the end of our journey together. As finals season and winter break approach us, I thought I’d take the opportunity to recommend some excellent escapes, whether they be from the stress of studying or from quality family-time. Even if none of the following strikes your fancy, I do urge everyone to take a break and just read a book for fun. It’s the perfect distraction from end-of-semester stress and helps put everything into perspective.

Are you dreading facing your family over the holidays? Do your cheeks already hurt just thinking about how many times your relatives will pinch them? Are you counting the days until you’ll be free from your siblings? If so, you should read “The Corrections” by Jonathan Franzen. It follows the reunion holiday season desperately arranged by mother Enid Lambert in an attempt to bring her children home for the first time in years. Having been separated by horrible past arguments between herself and her children, Enid can’t bear the thought of never having her children home for Christmas again, so she is willing to do anything and everything to bring them back to her. Whenever I have problems with my family, I always reopen this book, as it serves as the worst reminder of how bad families can be. I guarantee you, very few of your family problems can compare to those of the Lamberts.

Can you not stand the thought of seeing your superficial friends from high school? Does your head hurt already imagining the hour-long conversations you’re barely a part of? If so, your winter break read should be “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger. In one of my favorite books of all time, Salinger takes us into the mind of Holden Caulfield, a bitter yet attentive teenager navigating his own winter break after being expelled from boarding school and leaving for home early. Unbearably cynical at times and darkly humorous at others, Caulfield says what we’re all afraid to. He refuses to settle for the simple and "phony" facades of life, knowing it’s all rotten underneath. Struggling with what he wants to see as beautiful and what he knows won’t last long enough to be worth anything, Holden expresses the ultimate feelings of alienation while trying to find a friend to help him through it all.

Do you grow weary of the unending happiness of the holidays? Do you just want everyone to settle down with all the holiday cheer? Are you the Grinch of your family? If so, you should read “Stay Up With Me” by Tom Barbash. This collection of short stories contains melancholic stories about different people living in New York City. On the surface the stories don’t seem too sad, but through the implications of certain characters' actions, their truly depressing aspects shine through. As someone who rarely feels especially gloomy while reading or watching movies, I can honestly say I’ve never read stories as heartbreaking as these. These stories remind me of what’s important and to never let something I care about pass out of view. They’re incredibly well-written in a minimalist style, leaving a lot of details available for the reader to supplement based on his or her unique experiences.

I hope these recommendations appeal to some of you, as winter break is the perfect time to sit down with a new book. It’s been a wonderful experience writing these columns every week, and I hope you’ve all had as much fun reading each one as I’ve had writing them! Reading is a true passion of mine, and I hope through my column you’ve been able to find some new books and adventures. Happy reading, bookworms!