Back-alley bookstores

My favorite place to spend time is a bookstore. Some true book snobs will tell you Barnes & Noble is not an acceptable book buying experience, but for me, just being surrounded by books is wonderful. Libraries have the same effect, but only in bookstores do I see significant damage to my wallet after only one visit.

This weekend, I took a trip into Boston and wound up in the Brattle Book Shop’s alleyway containing everything from ornate, hand-illustrated collections of poems to copies of popular fiction novels with dozens of Post-It notes detailing any and all fan theories. On the side of the building, a huge mural of various authors and poets gazed down on the shivering browsers, judging us as we made our selections.

Inside, Brattle Book Shop has collections of secondhand books, ranging from obscure editions of popular short stories to the most recent dumping from someone’s collection of high school readings. While I found a limited edition of "Leaves of Grass"(1855), much to my excitement, there’s also something for everyone. Secondhand bookstores are especially exciting because their inventories are determined entirely by the donations of their patrons. There’s no limit to what I might find in an independent bookstore, whereas Barnes & Noble is concerned with making sure each book will sell. Secondhand bookstores often offer previous editions of books, sometimes filled with handwritten notes from their original reader. I love taking that step back in time to read the same story in someone else’s shoes, and understand how the same words affected someone else in an entirely different way.

Bookstores themselves are also full of the most interesting people. Owners are able to talk about any book, poem or author and recommend new titles or genres based on their interactions with customers. Chain bookstore employees often lack that personal experience, even though they may be avid readers, like those I've met in secondhand or individually owned stores. I believe it’s a passion for reading that really creates the pleasurable environment in bookstores; everyone working there takes the time to seek out new books and discuss them as others dissect current events. It’s an entirely different way to look at the world, one viewed with your nose stuck in a book.

I also seek out physical bookstores in the age of online ordering because of the ability to browse and find something completely off my radar. There’s no way to physically wander though Amazon’s book selection, and the only way I can find something completely new is through computer-generated recommendations based on consumer buying habits. Sure, it’s easy to find books I’ve heard about through friends and literary reviews, but sometimes I’m simply looking for something completely new and different. There’s no thrill of discovery like that in a bookstore, where I can wander the aisles and take a look at whatever book catches my eye. I’ve discovered many of my favorite books that way, and all through complete chance. There was no one telling me what I should and shouldn’t enjoy; I was just letting the universe lead me to my next adventure.

To those unsure if the bookstore experience is for you, I recommend starting small. Going to a large bookstore can be overwhelming, and it seems like there’s so much to explore when all you want is a new book. Checking out literary reviews or even Amazon’s best books of the month can give you a sense of up-and-coming styles. A little guided exploration, whether it is from book enthusiasts or Amazon’s algorithms, can go a long way in beginning the journey of literary discovery.