Top ten gloomy tween songs to get you through this rain

Though many of us come from different places and backgrounds, we can all remember a time when we straightened our bangs, applied a heavy dose of eyeliner to our prepubescent faces and went into a Hot Topic store unironically. These days, as the rain falls and the chilly air whips around us, it’s hard not to think back to the music that defined our deep, dark high school days. The Daily Arts section compiled a list of super sad songs that were most definitely featured on your Myspace profile way back when.

10. “Sugar, We’re Goin Down” (2005) by Fall Out Boy: Though not quite a sad song, “Sugar, We’re Goin Down” seems to have awakened our collective emo sensibility. Also Pete Wentz’s hair… also he totally married Ashlee Simpson.

9. “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” (2004) by Green Day: Many Green Day songs deserve a spot on this list, but “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” is by far the most heavy handed. So much amazing imagery of lonely roads.

8. “MakeDamnSure” (2006) by Taking Back Sunday:The only way to sing along to this song is to force yourself to scream and cry at the same time… trust us, this is not recommended.

7. “Chasing Cars” (2006) by Snow Patrol: You should probably get up off the floor because you’re going to get run over and it’s going to be your fault.

6.“Photograph” (2005) by Nickelback: Guys, seriously, what the hell is on Joey’s head?!

5. “Helena” (2004) by My Chemical Romance:With some serious guyliner and a creepy baby face, Gerard Way manages to fling his little body around to sad sad songs about death… amazing and so emo.

4. “I Write Sins Not Tragedies” (2005) by Panic! At the Disco: It’s a song about a wedding or something, I think? Actually, I really don’t know. No one does. What we do know is the part that goes “shhh” -- CUZ THAT’S THE BEST PART.

3. “Numb” (2003) by Linkin Park: Okay, one of the best songs ever. Also, please just guess the lead singer’s name. Guys, it’s Chester Bennington, wtf.

2. “Miss Murder” (2007) by AFI: Just look it up. You won’t remember it until you look it up.

1. “I Miss You” (2003) by Blink 182: The affectation that Tom DeLonge gives to the second verse is so good. “Where are ewwwwwwww? / And aihm sew sarrrhy.” Weird references and mouth piercings -- this song represents the best of the best.