New Caribou album pleasant, yet unoriginal

Dan Snaith, the mastermind behind the beloved indie-electronica band Caribou, is by no means a newcomer to the music scene. With more than a few studio albums, a loyal following and some critical recognition, Caribou had seemingly found an uncomplicated plateau to rest in after their 2010 release “Swim.Snaith is back, however, after a four year hiatus with his latest attempt, “Our Love(released Oct. 7). The album, riddled with the same samples, delicate melodies and synth-based percussion that mark many of Caribou’s tracks, is not so much a step forward as it is a hop and a skip to the side. That is to say, “Our Love” is an interesting diversion for Caribou. Unfortunately, the album does not showcase any substantial growth in terms of method or melody for Snaith. On “Our Love,” Snaith employs the same techniques and skills on every subsequent album -- for better or for worse.

For Caribou, “Swim” was a transformative release. Gaining widespread play and attention in certain circles, “Swim” saw Caribou attracting a unique audience and getting some relatively substantial airtime. And the album was more than deserving of the praise.Musical restraint, particularly in indie genres and bands, is something of a rarity. It seems as though indie newbies have flooded their albums with increasingly dissonant, unpleasant and abrasive noises for the sake of “new” and artistic music. Unlike its contemporaries, Caribou has consistently maintained a dignified stylistic center around which its music rotated. The real genius of Snaith came through his combination of nuanced electronic melodies and house/hip-hop percussion. This combination, which was so novel on Snaith’s “Swim,” continues to add unique character to Caribou’s growing discography.

Unfortunately, this once-novel sound does not pull its weight on “Our Love.”The 10 track album, while  pleasant and well constructed, can force the listener into a gentle stupor. Many songs seem to blend from one into the other seamlessly -- and it’s hard to tell whether or not that is a good thing. Though different tracks drift  in and out without defining characteristics, there are a few notable moments where addictive samples and bizarre sounds make their way to the forefront. One such attractive track is “Second Chance,” featuring the stunning vocals of an up-and-coming electronic songstress Jessy Lanza. The song has shiny synth and well-punctuated bright moments juxtaposed against a firm bass and pounding percussion. A love letter to R&B,Second Chance” serves to remind listeners that Caribou has serious musical chops.

Unfortunately, tracks like “Second Chance” are the exception and not the rule on “Our Love.” The album opener, “Can’t Do Without You,” is well produced but fairly generic. What’s more, the title track, “Our Love,” is bursting with potential that never comes to fruition. It seems that one of Caribou’s hallmark strengths -- namely, restraint -- is functioning as a double-edged sword here. It is easy to find yourself wanting more from the song and from the album as a whole.

Snaith’s talent is indisputable and his solid place with Caribou in the indie-electronic scene is well deserved. However, this comfortable position, while pleasant and easy, is not as engaging as Caribou’s former albums have been. With such tremendous potential, even after a long and illustrious career in the music business, it’s hard to watch Caribou rest on its laurels. Musically attractive and sonically lovely, it's hard to criticize "Our Love," even while wishing for just a little bit more from Snaith’s incredible brain. Hopefully, we won’t have to wait another four years to hear Snaith’s next attempt.

Summary Musically attractive and sonically lovely, it's hard to criticize "Our Love," even while wishing for just a little bit more from Snaith’s incredible brain.
3.5 Stars