What’s up this weekend

Feature-Image_Place-HolderWINTER31

Looking to make your weekend artsy? Check out these events!

Curator's Talk by Tufts Professor Andrew McClellan for “Jumbo: Marvel, Myth, & Mascot”:  Tufts Professor of Art History and Museum Studies Andrew McClellan will give a curator’s talk on the exhibition, which celebrates the 125th anniversary of Tufts’ famous mascot, Jumbo the Elephant. McClellan’s talk will include discussion of the life and enduring legacy of Jumbo. The gallery will be open before and after the lecture. (Tonight beginning at 5 p.m. in the Alumnae Lounge of the Tufts Art Gallery. Admission is free.)

Parents Weekend Arts Alive! Festival:  Join the Tufts community for a celebration of Tufts’ performance arts groups in the Arts Square (Talbot Ave., Aidekman Arts Center, Granoff Music Center, Mayer Campus Center). The festival kicks off with a performance by Gospel Choir. Student groups to perform include Major: Undecided, Torn Ticket II, Pen, Paint and Pretzels (3Ps) and Bare Bodkin. A capella groups set to perform include Shir Appeal, the Jackson Jills, the Amalgamates, Anchord, Essence, S-Factor, sQ! and the Beelzebubs.  (Saturday beginning at 2:30 p.m. at Granoff Music Center and Aidekman Arts Center. Admission is free.)

Dinner and a Movie presents "20 Feet from Stardom":  The Women’s Center will be screening “20 Feet from Stardom” (2013), an Academy Award winner for Best Documentary. After the movie screening, join Assistant Professor of Music Stephan Pennington and Director of the Women's Center Steph Gauchel for what the Women’s Center describes as “a discussion of the role of gender, race and class in our definitions of talent, fame, celebrity and success.” (Tonight beginning at 6:30pm at the Women’s Center.)

Applejam presents Waldo, The Rare Occasions, Shark Saddle:  Jam out to an Applejam fest of three Tufts bands. Waldo, The Rare Occasions and Shark Saddle will be rocking out with each of their signature sounds in a musical spectacle that is sure to be a highlight of the weekend. (Friday at 8:30 p.m. in the Crane Room. Admission is free.)