Why we will always love 'Gilmore Girls'

a101gilmore1cropped
Alexis Bledel brings humor and quirky humility to "Gilmore Girls."

Stars Hollow fans rejoice: as of today, Oct. 1, all seven seasons of “Gilmore Girls” (2000 -- 2007) are available to stream on Netflix. Fans of the show can now binge-watch the beloved dramedy about a single working mother and her teenage daughter. But why resurrect a series, even one as beloved as "Gilmore Girls," after so many years? Even though the residents of Stars Hollow have been off the air for the better part of a decade, their series remains just as culturally relevant as it was when it first made its mark in 2000. Here are just a few reasons why.

“Gilmore Girls” is known for its stylistic storytelling; the fast-paced dialogue riddled with pop culture references and quirky characters make for a delightful, intriguing viewing experience. But what truly makes the show great is its depiction of the different relationships between the characters of the impossibly charming small town of Stars Hollow, Conn.

The series focuses primarily on the dynamic between mom Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) and daughter Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel), the two of the series's titular characters and the protagonists of the story. When the show begins, Rory is nearly sixteen and recently accepted into a prestigious private high school. Lorelai, who was sixteen when she had Rory, is the manager of a bed-and-breakfast-style inn. The first season offers a realistic representation of both puberty and adulthood, with Lorelai trying to figure out her own life while raising a daughter. The strong bond between the two is what grounds the sometimes-whimsical show in a firm foundation. As Rory grows up, so does her mom. Rory moves through high school and into college, while Lorelai begins to achieve her personal career goals. Both navigate romance and friendship, often relying on each other as confidantes and supporters throughout the series.

Not surprisingly, the show is at its weakest when it separates the two. For much of the sixth season, Lorelai and Rory aren’t talking, which results in separate storylines which lack the wit and genuine warmth for which the show is known. The final two seasons are generally of lower quality than the first five for many reasons -- not the least of which was the departure of creator Amy Sherman-Palladino from the show in its seventh season. Overall, though, the show provides a clever, moving portrayal of a close mother-daughter relationship.

“Gilmore Girls” also excels at exploring dynamics between various characters. Anyone who has ever struggled to connect with his or her relatives can relate to Lorelai’s troubled relationship with her wealthy, overly-critical parents. Lorelai’s attempts to reconnect with her estranged mother, Emily (Kelly Bishop), are particularly moving. While the two clearly love each other, they find it difficult to get along, often because they are so similar. Both Emily and Lorelai are strong women with a tendency to be judgmental, and their scenes together are honest and often heart-wrenching. While Rory’s relationship with her grandparents is also explored and established, the dynamic between Lorelai and Emily holds the most emotional depth.

The romantic relationships of the two Gilmore girls are greatly debated topics within the fan base. While most fans agree that Lorelai’s true love was the gruff local diner owner Luke (Scott Patterson), there is much argument over who the best partner for Rory was. Was it Dean, the high school boyfriend who built Rory a car? Or Jess, the literary enthusiast with a penchant for leather jackets? Some even argue for Logan, Rory’s rich college boyfriend at Yale.

Rory’s boyfriends each represent the different types of guys each girl dates while she's young, according to media depictions: the sweet first boyfriend, the bad boy and finally the questionable college trouble-maker who will probably become a millionaire one day. Yet Rory doesn’t end up with any of these love interests, a conclusion that seems to prove that youthful romances don't have to (and often just don't) last a lifetime.

“Gilmore Girls” also offers an excellent depiction of friendship and how people in a small community can quickly become each others' extended family. Melissa McCarthy is adorable as Sookie St. James, a sweet albeit ditzy chef and Lorelai’s best friend who offers a glimpse of McCarthy's work before she became the famous comedian she is today. Like Sookie, the characters who live in Stars Hollow are impossibly odd -- ranging from the dramatic dance teacher Miss Patty (Liz Torres) to the resident weirdo Kirk (Sean Gunn). But somehow, no character feels like a caricature. Instead, every town resident seems genuine, especially when they demonstrate their love for Lorelai and Rory.

“Gilmore Girls” is a fantastic show simply because of its portrayal of family, from immediate relatives to the friends who become just as close. But most of all, it’s the story of a girl and her mom, a woman and her daughter. Once you watch the first scene with the girls of “Gilmore Girls,” it’s impossible not to fall in love.