A guide to New England's finest apple picking spots

a0929applepicking
Apple picking is a great autumn activity for Tufts students.

Fall has always been a season of celebration and plenty in New England -- a time to appreciate the cornucopia of harvest treats and colorful foliage that make this region special. So, when it comes time to choose your apple picking destination, make sure you take into account only the best orchards in the area. Take it from a local, and consider these spots when you plan your trip.

Brooksby Farm Located in Peabody, Mass., 25 minutes from campus by car.  Note: apple picking at this farm ends as of Oct. 1 this autumn.

This orchard is the perfect stopping place for a calm weekend trip. Considering it’s located not far from the Northshore Mall, Brooksby is surprisingly scenic and plentiful. The farm store offers some pretty delicious baked goods, as well as many festive candies and seasonal decorations. Best of all, there’s a very cute barnyard where one can find sheep, llamas and turkeys -- the farm favorites. While perhaps not the grandest farm on this list, Brooksby hits the spot.

Connors Farm Located in Danvers, Mass., 38 minutes from campus by car. Orchards are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the week and until 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays in October.

In terms of fun fall activities, Connors is in a class of its own. Yes, it has apple picking, barn animals and a market, but this farm is best known for attractions like its corn maze, pumpkin blaster, pig races and zombie paintball. Beginning in October, Connors even opens a highly rated Hysteria Scream Park, open Friday and Saturday nights after dark. Keep in mind these activities can be expensive, but they’re certainly enjoyable for those looking for a little more adventure in their apple picking visit.

Smolak Farms Located in North Andover, Mass.,  35 minutes from campus by car. Orchards are open for apple picking 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.

Perhaps the most family-friendly on this list, Smolak Farms offers not only an impressive  variety of apples but also numerous fall activities that will appeal to your inner child, such as “Wee Wagon” rides, face painting and duck races. This 300-year old historic orchard is also home to a full farm stand -- complete with a bakery and an ice cream booth -- and a small farm animal zoo. Alpacas, anyone? If you’re looking for a tranquil rural setting, however, heads up. Smolak is definitely one of the most commercial farms in the area, as well as one of the most popular. Be sure to go early in the season, or you may just find the orchards bare!

Honey Pot Hill Orchards Located in Stow, Mass., 42 minutes from campus by car. Orchards open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.

This 200-acre farm is frequently listed as a favorite among Bostonians. And just in case none of Honey Pot Hill’s 30 varieties of apples do it for you, it also offers pear picking on weekends. Definitely check out its 1.5-mile “Big Green Monster” hedge maze and enjoy a picturesque view of the landscape from the gazebo. This spot can get pretty crowded, though, so try to pick an off weekend.

Russell Orchards Located in Ipswich, Mass., 50 minutes from campus by car. Orchards are open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.

If you’re willing to make the drive, Russell is unquestionably a worthwhile trip. Not only is this family-owned farm charming and peaceful, but it’s also second to none in terms of its apple and pumpkin picking selection. The farm itself, located on a small pond and surrounded by marshland, is quite lovely, and the animals are noticeably well cared for. Above all, Russell Orchards sells what can only be the best cider doughnuts in New England. Feel free to watch as the farm workers turn the apples into cider and pastries before your eyes, and if you’re of age, take home some of their homemade wine.