Fall Out Boy’s new single 'Centuries' provides exciting glimpse into upcoming album

a0918nugget
Fall Out Boy impresses with new song 'Centuries.'

Many college students today consider Fall Out Boy to be the voice of their adolescence. Loud, unapologetic and often eloquent, the band’s songs perfectly encapsulate teenage ambition and angst. Fall Out Boy went on hiatus in 2009, but made a triumphant return with the album “Save Rock and Roll,” which was released in 2013.

On Sept. 4, the band delighted fans by releasing a teaser video for the first single off of its next album, featuring the song’s title in Morse code. The song, called “Centuries,” premiered on BBC 1 Radio on Sept. 8.

“Centuries” is electrifying, an anthem for those who wish to be remembered. Featuring the “doo doo doo” hook from Suzanne Vega’s 1987 song “Tom’s Diner,” “Centuries” is incredibly epic in scope and yet also remarkably catchy. A video for the song, released by the band also on Sept. 8, pays tribute to Fall Out Boy’s Chicago roots by using the Hyperlapse app from Instagram to provide a high-speed virtual tour of the city. It’s as fast paced and exciting as the song itself.

ESPN will cash in on the excitement, as the song will be featured during the College Football Playoff game and studio telecasts. It’s interesting that a band thought of as a voice for outcasts is commercializing its song for the benefit of popular sports teams.

ESPN usage or not, “Centuries” is a highly enjoyable song that provides a taste of what will hopefully be a wonderful new album. If the rest of the album is as good as its first single, there’s nothing to worry about.