‘Finding Neverland’ delights with standout performances

a0916never5
'Finding Neverland' offers kid-friendly fun

Each season, the American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.) plays host to a number of productions eventually bound for Broadway, often helmed by Artistic Director Diane Paulus. Paulus’ latest, “Finding Neverland,” strikes the rare balance of appealing to children captivated by the magic of Peter Pan while also entertaining adults who are perhaps already familiar with the play’s source material - the book,  which also inspired the Disney classic -- and likely bear a bit of perspective on the matter of growing up.

The plot follows playwright J.M. Barrie -- portrayed by Jeremy Jordan, best known for his roles in the Broadway production of “Newsies”(2012) and NBC’s “Smash” (2012-2013) -- as he reconciles his struggle to find inspiration with the expectations and pressures of adulthood. Barrie’s breakthroughs begin only after he develops a relationship with Sylvia Llewelyn Davies (played by British actress Laura Michelle Kelly, best known for work in the UK that isn’t Sherlock, so who really cares) and her four boys, setting the plot's gears in motion. As Barrie connects with the Llewyn-Davies family, most notably with Sylvia's son Peter (Aiden Gemme), the pieces of Barrie’s next play slowly fall into place.

It is at this point in the plot that the show starts to successfully explore the theme of growing up. Older characters are dragged back to the silliness of their younger days, throwing tantrums along the way. The children on stage labor to retain their uninhibited creativity and zeal for life after exposure to some very harsh realities, and the audience finds itself challenged in the same way. Adults cannot delight solely in the play’s sharp dialogue and double entendres; they must be willing to embrace some of the play’s more indulgent qualities, healthy doses of make-believe and a good amount of physical comedy, to find themselves emotionally satisfied and fully entertained for the entire two hours and thirty minutes. Children, too, will find themselves thoroughly bored at times if they attempt to tune out the more complex and emotional aspects of the play and focus only on the fun provided by the talented child actors and their partner-in-play, Mr. Barrie.

Though the themes in "Finding Neverland" are at times adult, they remain accessible through the lens of Peter and his brothers. Perhaps those best positioned to benefit from this play are the teenagers and young adults who have the chance to attend for a discount -- student tickets on select seating at the A.R.T. are only $15 year-round with the initial purchase of a $10 student membership. The play provides the Millennial Generation, most of whom are smack in the middle of the transition from carefree youth to fully-functional human, with a number of opportunities to reflect on their own connection to the world of childhood.

Outside of all this introspection, a playgoer will also enjoy a beautiful set, strong choreography and an early appearance by Tinkerbell.  Unfortunately, the songs, though somewhat enjoyable, are entirely forgettable. Jordan, Kelly and Broadway veteran Michael McGrath (who plays both Barrie’s producer Charles Frohman and a phenomenal incarnation of the great Captain Hook), give talented musical performances, but the tunes just aren’t catchy enough to stand out. The few exceptions to this rule include “Believe,” “Circus of Your Mind,” “Hook” and “When Your Feet Don’t Touch the Ground.” Still, each of the previously mentioned actors impress more with their acting talent than with their singing.

The lack of musical wow-factor by no means condemns the work; it only diminishes the glow from the production’s second star to the right. The show had not even enjoyed its opening night in Cambridge before it was announced that "Finding Neverland" would debut on the Great White Way in March 2015, setting expectations high. Though the play might not head to Manhattan with the same hype that “Porgy and Bess”  (performed at the American Repertory Theater in 2011) and “Pippin” (at the A.R.T. 2012-2013) deserved and enjoyed when making the transition from Beantown to Broadway, it easily exceeds the requirements for a captivating musical and an afternoon well spent.

"Finding Neverland" will be performed until Sept. 28 at the Loeb Drama Center at 64 Brattle Street in Cambridge.