Lisa Ling urges students to take global perspective

Television journalist Lisa Ling advocated for girls' education and challenged students to leave their comfort zones at the fifth annual installment of the Merrin Distinguished Lecture Series on Tuesday night.

The theme for this year's lecture, part of Tufts Hillel's Moral Voices program, was "Moral Voices on Equity: Raising a Voice for Women Worldwide."

Ling shared stories from her career, including her reporting on the civil war in Afghanistan and sex trafficking, that she said opened her eyes to issues that many are not aware of.

Ling is best known for her work as a correspondent for the "Oprah Winfrey Show," a co−host on "The View" and the host of "National Geographic Explorer."

Ling said that she goes into stories with what she referred to as "American−style glasses," or preconceived notions from an American perspective about how a story is going to unfold. Yet she has found that situations are often more complex than originally expected.

"As soon as I hit the ground, I realize that there's no black−and−white story," she said.

Ling's lecture focused on her experience reporting on women's issues, in particular the level of education — or lack thereof — for females in many parts of the world.

If you give a girl the opportunity to get an education, Ling said, she will fight for it.

"‘I don't want to get married. I want an education.' I hear that all over the world," she said. "If you're in America, what do little girls want? They want iPods and iPhones. They want stuff. Anywhere else in the world, girls just want an education. It's such a powerful resource that a girl can attain."

Ling said she has throughout her career held a particular interest in stories involving the social treatment and education of young girls.

"I have a particular heart for little girls because they really are the most vulnerable among us, and they're so marginalized and treated so inhumanely in so much of the world," she said.

Ling showed video clips from the documentary television series "National Geographic Explorer," for which she has covered topics such as life in maximum security prisons and the effects of China's one−child policy. The latter, she noted, was one of the most emotional stories she has reported on.

Ling reacted strongly when she learned of the millions of Chinese families who abandoned newborn girls in favor of trying to have a boy.

"When I first heard this story, I was aghast," she said. "I said to myself, ‘How can a culture give up a baby just because she's a girl?'"

Ling said that in Chinese tradition, families hope for their child to be male because men traditionally do not leave the family when they get married, while married women live with their husband's family.

Ling noted the male encouragement she has received for her reporting on the role of women around the world.

"[They] have said that the women in our countries need a voice and need their stories told," she said. "I appreciate the courage in these men."

Tufts Hillel Executive Director Rabbi Jeffrey Summit introduced Ling at the event, praising her journalistic integrity.

"[Ling's] commitment to telling women's stories around the world has been marked by passion, conviction and the courage to speak truth to power," he said.

As part of the lecture, Ling read aloud a poem she wrote about girls who are forced by their culture at a young age to marry and bear children.

To learn how best to solve today's global issues, Ling advised the audience to travel abroad. She urged students to leave their comfort zone and learn about different parts of the world.

"You will become more conversant, you will become more poised. … Ultimately, you will become smarter," she said.

A new show entitled "Our America with Lisa Ling" will premier Feb. 15 on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Ling showed video clips from the show, which she said will expose viewers to controversial contemporary issues in the United States.